Most people visiting Machu Picchu tend to go by train. As the train is the only “public” transport that actually reaches Aguas Calientes, it is obviously the most popular as well. There are only two companies doing the route: PeruRail and IncaRail. Both companies will take you to Machu Picchu Pueblo (also known as Aguas Calientes), the closest town to Machu Picchu Archeologial site. The main difference between the two companies is the fact that PeruRail has trains leaving from both Poroy, Pachar, Ollantaytambo and Urubamba Station meanwhile IncaRail only has departures from Ollantaytambo Station. Ollantatytambo station however, is the most popular since most people visit the Ollantatytambo archeological site which is to many travelers just as impresive as Machu Picchu.
Machu Picchu train tickets can be as low as $45 per person or as high as $200 per person depending on train class and train station departure On this website, you will be able to see the price in real time when you search for the train routes.
Expedition Train: This is the most economical option for the trains to Machu Picchu ever since the Backpacker train got taken out of the circulation. The Expedition train is a modern train with 4 seats socially located in front of each other. The carriages have large panoramic windows to fully appreciate the countryside as it rolls on by. All wagons have air-conditioning, and heating. Snacks and beverages are available during the entire trip. Luggage can be stored in the racks placed above the seats. This train has departures from Poroy as well as from Ollantaytambo station.
Vistadome Train: This is the very comfortable middle class train from PeruRail. The wagons have large panoramic windows and even windows in the roof of the train giving you fully the opportunity to enjoy the countryside and snap pictures al along the way. All wagons have plush leather seats with plenty of leg room, air-conditioning and heating. Snacks and beverages are available during the entire trip. The Vistadome train departs daily from both Poroy and Ollantaytambo station.
Hiram Bingham Luxury Train: This is the very luxurious (and pricey) train to Machu Picchu and is one of the most famous train rides in South America. The train is a Pullman train complete with all decorations and colored in blue and gold. The wagons are all with warm and cozy interiors that feature elegant upholstery. As passengers step on board they are encompassed in a world of polished wood, gleaming cutlery and glittering glass. The train holds up to 84 passengers and has four wagons, two dining wagons, an observation wagon with bar and a kitchen wagon. Besides the train drive the Hiram Bingham train ticket also includes; brunch (Cusco – Machu Picchu) and dinner (Machu Picchu - Cusco) on board, exclusive bus return to the citadel of Machu Picchu, entrance to Machu Picchu, guided tour in the citadel and afternoon tea at the Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge.
Tourist Class Train: The Tourist Class Train is the most economical option from IncaRail and provides carriages with 48 seats. The train has panoramic, UV protected windows and comfortable seats with a table in the middle. During the whole ride there will be healthy snacks and beverages available. The Tourist Class train only leaves from Ollantaytambo station.
Executive Train: The Executive train is the superior level train from IncaRail. The wagons hold only 50 passengers and are equipped with panoramic windows and comfortable seats with a table in the middle. During the whole ride there will be healthy snacks and beverages available. The Executive train only leaves from Ollantaytambo station.
First Class Train: This is the luxury train from IncaRail. The train holds only 30 oversized plush seats and has even more legroom than the Executive train and is equipped with expansive panoramic, UV protected windows. During the trip healthy snacks and beverages are available and there is a good selection of books about Peru and its history available. The First Class Train also only leaves from Ollantaytambo station. During the ride with the First Class Train, a healthy 4 course meal with wine is also included with the service.
There are 2 train companies – PeruRail and IncaRail
There are four stations:
• Poroy (20 min. from Cusco)
• Ollantatytambo (1.5 hours from Cusco)
• Pachar (2 hrs from Cusco)
• Urubamba Station (only used for few services)
Perurail departs both from Poroy as well as Ollantaytambo Station
IncaRail only departs from Ollantaytambo Station
Both companies offer 3 different train services
Train times can differ but there are several trains of each level daily
• Perurail implemented weight limits of 5Kg. (11 lbs) and 157cm (61") (height + length + width) per person.
• IncaRail implemented weight limits of 8Kg. (17 lbs) and 157cm (61") (height + length + width) per person
• Weight limits are not thoroughly checked but size limits are, so it is best to keep these limits in mind
Even though these limits may seem little it must be noted that the companies do not actually check on the luggage weight. In any case it is advisable not to take more than one small bag or suitcase with you per person but the weight does not matter that much. In case you would like to take more than one bag or suitcase with you, please keep in mind that it may be that they will charge you additional for this luggage and that the luggage will be stored in the luggage department of the train. As these surcharges are not cheap it is recommendable to avoid this as much as possible.
All train stations have the possibility to guard your luggage in the station itself for a small fee. In this case, please make sure that your return train ends in the same station as the departure. This way you would only have to take on the train what you would need for the days at Machu Picchu. However, please note that there are no train stations in the city of Cusco. Therefore, carrying a lot of luggage even to the closest train station (Poroy) which is 20 minutes away via taxi, could cost you extra and not be feasible. The best option is to leave most of your luggage in your hotel in Cusco. Most hotels have secure luggage rooms and do not charge for staying guests to keep their luggage stored.
• The Machu Picchu train is non-transferable, non-reimbursable and the participant cannot change the date of departure.
• If during the length of the program the traveler abandons the excursion due to altitude, health, or for any other reason, no reimbursement will be made and no claim will be accepted. RAINBOWMOUNTAIN.CENTER does not cover the expenses made by the traveler due to abandonement such as meals, hotel, return transportation, medical expenses, etc.
• Certain Services might be interrupted or even cancelled due to weather conditions, natural disasters or other disturbances such as civil unrest, worker strikes, etc. These are out of the control of hotels, Service suppliers, RAINBOWMOUNTAIN.CENTER or its partners and therefore, no refund will be given.
• In case of force majeur, when a trek or tour cannot start or be completed, RAINBOWMOUNTAIN.CENTER will find an alternative. If this alternative is of lower value than the originally booked tour, RAINBOWMOUNTAIN.CENTER will refund the difference.
• It is compulsory that all clients have personal travel insurance. This insurance must cover personal accidents, medical expenses, loss of effects and all other expenses which might arise as a result of loss, damage or injury occurring to the client. RAINBOWMOUNTAIN.CENTER cannot be considered responsible for any accident or loss of personal belongings the customer caused by his/her acts
The Client may cancel this tour package at any time provided that the cancellation is communicated to RAINBOWMOUNTAIN.CENTER in writing. Cancellation charges will be applied as shown below calculated from the day written notification is received by RAINBOWMOUNTAIN.CENTER. All reservations cancelled are subject to a cancellation fee:
|Cancelation Notice Received||Cancelation Penalty %|
|16+ Days advanced notice||$20 Penalty|
|10-15 Days advanced notice||60% Penalty of total booking paid|
|7-9 Days advanced notice||80% Penalty of total booking paid|
|0-6 Days advanced notice||100% Penalty of total booking paid|