The Inca Trail is by far the most famous trek in South America and is rated by many to be in the top 5 treks in the world. In just 26 miles (45km) it manages to combine beautiful mountain scenery, lush cloud-forest, and subtropical jungle and, of course, a stunning mix of Inca paving stones ruins and tunnels.
This short Inca Trail Classic is an ideal alternative trekking, adapted to visitors with limited time and or wishing to avoid extreme physical effort. It incorporates imposing landscapes, exotic places, valleys, flora, fauna, ecological mountains, archaeological centers and ancestral mystic energy, all of which takes us to the most spectacular and enigmatic citadel MACHU PICCHU.
The Inca Trail can be hiked year round although the months of April till October are probably more comfortable since the weather is drier. June, July and August are in the high season when the Inca trail can become fully booked so be sure to make the Inca trail reservations in advance. The 4 day Inca Trail is closed each year during the month of February to allow conservation work to take place. The months of January and March are in the wet season so hiking the trail can be a little miserable unless you have a good rain jacket and waterproof tent.
The Inca trail is rated moderate and any reasonably fit person should be able to cover the route. It is fairly challenging nevertheless, and altitudes of 4200m are reached, so ensuring that you are well acclimatized is important. If arriving from sea level, plan to spend at least 2 full days in Cusco prior to commencing the trek. This should allow plenty of time for acclimatization and give you sufficient opportunity to visit the city of Cusco and nearby Inca ruins at Sacsayhuaman, Q'enko, Pucapucara and Tambomachay, as well as spending a day or two exploring the Sacred Valley of the Incas visiting the tradition market town of Pisac and the fascinating Inca fortress at Ollantaytambo
Let’s start the adventure!!!!
Pick up from the hotel at 05.30 am. and transfer to train station of ollantaytambo. We will take the train until km 104 of the railway line Cusco – Machu picchu, point of beginning the trek, where we will arrive on 10.00am. We will visit the archaeological of Chachabamba (2150 masl), located next to the control post and will approximately initiate a long walk of ascent of 8 km during 4h, towards the archaeological complex of Wiñay wayna (2700 masl). This is an impressive archaeological set composed of an agricultural sector with numerous platforms, a religious sector and an urban sector.
On the way we will have magnificent views of the valley of the Urubamba River and the archaeological complex of Choquesuysuy, located in the left margin of the river, and there is also a beautiful water fall located to few minutes of Wiñay wayna. Later, we will continue towards the Inti Punku or Puerta del Sol, after approximately 1 hour of walking on the brink of madness precipices in a landscape of a forest eyebrow we will see for the first time the sacred city of Machu picchu (2450 masl), we will descend in approximately 40 minutes, arriving by the upper area at the "House of the Guardians". Then we will board the bus to Aguas Calientes (25 minutes).
Today is Machu Picchu!!!
We will leave our hotel towards Machu Picchu after breakfast at about 5:30 am by bus. We are leaving that early because at this time the setting is less crowded so we take advantage of the tranquility of this sacred site.
Guided Tour of Machupicchu. This enigmatic city is explored for Approx. 3 hrs and their mysteries and archaeological information will be explained by your TOUR guide, you generally have approx. 6 hrs. extra free time but depends on the departure train time. The train departs from Aguas Calientes late in the afternoon. (Approximately 5 or 6 pm to Ollantaytambo then 2 hour transport to Cusco arriving between 8- 9:00 pm. approx.)
• FREE in transfers to and from Cusco (Please provide us your flight information)
• Bilingual and professional tour guides
• Brief presentation of the Inca Trail at our office in Cusco the day before your departure date.
• Backpacker train tickets from Poroy, Cusco to the Km. 104
• Entrance ticket to the Inca Trail
• Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu
• Two-hour guided tour upon your arrival in Machu Picchu
• Bus ticket up and down from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes (2 one way tickets are provided)
• Backpacker train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Poroy, Cusco departing between 15:00 - 17:30 hours
• Transfer from the train station to your hotel in Cusco
• Meals as mentioned in the itinerary (1B, 1L, 1D)
• Vegetarian food available upon request for no extra charge
• Accommodations in Aguas Calientes the first night
• Emergency oxygen bottle
• First aid equipment
• Airfare and hotel advice upon request as well as booking
• A small backpack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek
• Sleeping bag
• Sleeping mattress (we will provide you with this)
• Rain jacket or poncho (plastic ponchos can be purchased in Cusco for a few dollars)
• Strong, comfortable footwear
• One complete change of clothing
• Sweater and jacket (something warm)
• Water bottle, ideally non disposable canteen (boiled drinking water will be provided)
• Torch / Flashlight and batteries
• Hat or cap to protect you from the sun
• Sun block (sun protection cream)
• Insect repellent
• Toiletries, towel and toilet paper
• Selection of small snacks, chocolate, dried fruit, biscuits, energy bars etc,
• Camera, plenty of film and spare batteries, cash in PEN and US$
• Swimsuit (if you plan on visiting the hot springs at Aguas Calientes after the trek)
• Optional: walking Poles /sticks (rubber covers necessary)
• You also need to bring your original passport on the trail.
• Breakfast on the first morning.
• Sleeping bags
• Tips for the guide, cook and porter
• Personal equipment
• USD 20 Sleeping bag rental(-18°C) for the whole trek
• USD 20 single tent accommodation
• USD 120 Personal porter (15 kl or 33 lb)
• USD 30 Walking Poles (Pair)
• USD 60 Huayna Picchu entrance ticket
• Extra night in Aguas Calientes (check the details with your account executive)
• The Inca Trail is non-transferable, non-reimbursable and the participant cannot change the date of departure.
• If during the length of the program the traveler abandons the excursion due to altitude, health, or for any other reason, no reimbursement will be made and no claim will be accepted. RAINBOWMOUNTAIN.CENTER does not cover the expenses made by the traveler due to abandonement such as meals, hotel, return transportation, medical expenses, etc.
• Certain Services might be interrupted or even cancelled due to weather conditions, natural disasters or other disturbances such as civil unrest, worker strikes, etc. These are out of the control of hotels, Service suppliers, RAINBOWMOUNTAIN.CENTER or its partners and therefore, no refund will be given.
• In case of force majeur, when a trek or tour cannot start or be completed, RAINBOWMOUNTAIN.CENTER will find an alternative. If this alternative is of lower value than the originally booked tour, RAINBOWMOUNTAIN.CENTER will refund the difference.
• It is compulsory that all clients have personal travel insurance. This insurance must cover personal accidents, medical expenses, loss of effects and all other expenses which might arise as a result of loss, damage or injury occurring to the client. RAINBOWMOUNTAIN.CENTER cannot be considered responsible for any accident or loss of personal belongings the customer caused by his/her acts
The Client may cancel this tour package at any time provided that the cancellation is communicated to email@example.com in writing. Cancellation charges will be applied as shown below calculated from the day written notification is received by firstname.lastname@example.org. All reservations cancelled are subject to a cancellation fee:
|Cancelation Notice Received||Cancelation Penalty %|
|16+ Days advanced notice||$20 Penalty|
|10-15 Days advanced notice||60% Penalty of total booking paid|
|7-9 Days advanced notice||80% Penalty of total booking paid|
|0-6 Days advanced notice||100% Penalty of total booking paid|